Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Stepmomma Comes to BA - An Ode to an Amazing Woman!

Buenas tardes!

It another gorgeous yet coooooold day here in Buenos Aires. However, I am not complaining in the least, as this is apparently the dead of their winter. And with lows in the uppers 30s and highs in the lower 50s, I am a happy camper:). NO below freezing temps for days or even weeks on end, you say?! YIPEEEEEEE!! And I take special care not to speak of the winter temps here in negative light, especially since my family back home in MS is baking like a Thanksgiving turkey in 100+ degree temps - ouch!

So my most recent adventures of note happened just over a week ago when my stepmom, Susan Fontenot - whom Vera has dubbed "the stemom of the century" (and she does NOT exaggerate), came to visit. She was only here for a mere 4.5 days, but a short visit is better than no visit at all, so I soaked up her love and energy from the moment I found her plopped down on top of her bags in the middle of the airport lobby to the moment I bid her adieu as she was whisked off in a taxi through the harrowing city traffic en route to the airport.

This woman is AMAZING. I am beyond blessed to have her as a stepmom. I dont know how we Taylor's got so lucky!! And, lucky for me, she was super happy to chillax during her time here. No pressure to see everything there is to see and do all there is to do in her short visit. We wandered through cute neighborhoods, went to a museum, saw a tango show, visited the Sunday artisan market in San Telmo, and saw a SPECTACULAR cirque du soleil like show that no words can do justice - imagine people flying through the air, swimming in a giant pool of water above your head and then being enclosed in a giant plastic bubble while the performers jumped on the bouncy surface over our heads - craaaaazy!

But beyond the necessary things one must check off her list when in BA, we spent most of our time eating tasty salads in adorable sidewalk cafes, taking daily siestas, drinking tea and coffee, and meeting my many wonderful friends of whom have more or less become my family here;).

And, of course, as Susan is also known as Calamity Jane, there were a few..hmmm...mishaps?! Day 1, I arrived bright and early to find Susan had just fallen head first into the tub when the support handle she was using to help her climb in came unattached from the wall. Thank God her first priority was to protect her head. However, this came at the expense of her shoulder and wrist. I was HORRIFIED when I found her. Luckily, she's tough as nails and came away relatively unscathed and was able to shake off the minor pains. However, not 15 minutes later, she proceeded to shock herself while trying to plug in her Ipad. Not once, not twice, but FOUR times!! The pain from the first three shocks evidently wasnt enough to discourage this woman from charging her computer. She was determined to be able to play scrabble!! We finally got her out of the room of terror around noon and I was, quite frankly, afraid to let her return to sleep that night. Thankfully, the worst thing that happened from there on out included waking up ravenous in the middle of the night and having to try to ask the non-English speaking night watchman to please give her some bread and nearly freezing to death as her heat did not work with 35 degree temps outside. Minor inconveniences, really...

As my diet here typically consists of rice, lentils, salad, oatmeal, and fruit, I was excited to have the opportunity to explore the culinary world of BA. We discovered so many delightfully cute cafes that too much of my budget has since been dedicated to cafe con leche and muffins or some other tasty pastry.

And Susan discovered - and opened my own eyes to - just how much PDA occurs in this city. People LOVE to kiss in public. Kiss while standing in line waiting for the bus; stop and kiss mid-stride when you are directly behind them and, as a result, proceed to knock yourself face first into the kissing couple; kissing on the bus; kissing while getting off of the bus; kissing sitting on each other's laps on a plastic folding chair while on the job at the sidewalk flower kiosk on one of the main streets. You get the idea. People love to kiss. Dont get me wrong. Im all for being affectionate. It had simply never been brought to my attention just how out-of-the-ordinarily affectionate Argentinian couples are. So if PDA isnt your thing, I would not recommend dating an Argentinian!

My friends adored her - and who wouldnt?! She adored them. And I adored her visit;). Hasta la proxima, stepmommy mia! I love you to the moon and back!!

VIVA!

No comments: