Saturday, July 2, 2011

Clarification - Life is FAR Rosier than it is Rocky!!

Buenos dias!

It is a sunny and gorgeous blue sky day here in Buenos Aires...yet at 37 degrees Fahrenheit, I am finding it difficult to find the ganas to leave!

I would like to CLARIFY my reasons behind my last post. I got a number of responses that made me realize, in hindsight, that it did indeed come across as if my life here is one big heap of unhappiness. Which is very much NOT the case. Not at all!! I meant it as a rant AND to show that even the life as a scholarship-funded, international-living, Spanish-speaking adventurer is not always as glamorous as it may seem. Just wanted to put it out there as a reality check that no matter where we are or what we are doing, there are challenges.

Soooo...I wrote about a number of recent challenges. But evidently listing them one after another in one blog post did not come across as intended. I had a few people write me to tell me God loves me, one really good friend write a long letter of concern for my mental health and happiness, a stranger tell me to keep my head up as life would get better (life is great - I promise you!!), and my dad shaking his head wondering, "Why, oh why, is my daughter spending a year of her life in Argentina if she is experiencing such misery?" So, from now on, I will limit my quejas (complaints) to at most one per post.

AND if you look back at my post - some things are mildly amusing...I mean WHO get their ipod run over? And how many times does one have to get on the wrong bus before she learns to ASK where exactly the bus goes BEFORE boarding? Also, as angry as the taxi driver who nearly mowed me down made me at the time, it is evidence that life here is NEVER dull. One must always be on guard. Cross the street with caution, sure. But here in Latin America, confidence weighs much more than caution!

So I hope this clears up any concerns you may have had about my life here. It is challenging, no doubt! But what doesnt kill you - or cause you to run home in a heap of tears (ok, so yes, that has happened a few times) - makes you stronger, right?!

VIVA!

1 comment:

Gemma said...

Hi Cameron...Actually...I was looking at your humor on your last post...humor about difficulties.....BTW I remember those Buenos Aires taxi Drivers...we had one that was psychotic...for real. Because I have quite a dark sense of humor..I knew that things would improve ...Life is ups and downs as they say. I envy you those pastries..the wine..the beef...and outdoor cafe's....and the leather shopping....BTw..I added to my bombilla collection in BA...my mother had started quite a collection.....had them hanging all on dining room wall.Bariloche was one of her favorite places. Hope we can connect when you return ...I'm really getting to know Western NC. Ciao. Gemma