Monday, July 18, 2011

Slumbering Around or How I Moved for the 4th Time in 4 Months

Buenas tardes queridos!

Sooo...Im sitting here not entirely sure what to write about. It's been a couple of weeks, so SOMETHING of note must have occurred. Thinking....thinking....thinking...

Oh, of course! ... I finished the semester, moved for the FOURTH time, and attended a good old-fashioned slumber party with 4 of my closest friends - complete with funfetti cake w/ pink frosting (imported form the States), nail-painting, fortune-telling, staying up until dawn:), and sharing one giant king-sized bed. Yes, yes, I know one is supposed to outgrow this by the time she reaches her teens, but what is wrong with one night of reliving one's childhood?! We cooked delightful treats, ate too much, and told silly stories. And Martine painted my nails. So for the first time in perhaps 2 years, I have preeeeeetty nails! It was a truly, wonderful night of childish antics (minus the cooking. I did NOT cook as a child...nor, come to think of it, did I really do so that night as I contributed with a salad - hey, so Ill never be Betty Crocker:)!).

The semester ended smoothly. I look forward to being able to make better informed choices as far as classes and professors next semester. Cant say I was blown away by all of my classes. Alright, I suppose I was actually blown away by my one class where my professor showed up approximately half of the time. Not THAT'S dedication, folks!

And moving went well. I was horribly reluctant to leave my adorable, tiny, sunny studio. I was so comfortable there. I had actually UNPACKED my things (this is a big deal if you have ever lived with or near me in any other locale...Ive lived out of my trunk and/or bag for weeks (even months) on end on more than a few occasions). So repacking and unpacking - two of my least favorite activities - was not a thrilling experience. I stuffed my things haphazardly into 6 bags wondering how in the world my things expanded from fitting into the two bags I arrived with and lugged them and my plant Esmeralda 7 blocks away to my new abode. And, in true Cameron fashion, I did not unpack for 3 days. In fact, the first night I slept in my sleeping bag. Ok, please do not judge. To my credit (not to say I even need a legitimate excuse to have done this), I got home at 2 am thinking my bed had been made by the owner prior to me moving in. It certainly LOOKED made. The comforter was in place, the pillows were covered. So I stumbled in at 2 am exhausted, pulled up the comforter fully prepared to snuggle inside and fall fast asleep, only to discover there were NO sheets. Granted, I did quickly find sheets in the closet, but making my bed at 2 am was simply not an option (not that making my bed at any moment is an exciting option). So, without further ado, I whipped out my sleeping bag, stuffed it underneath the comforter, crawled in, zipped up, and was quickly off to dreamland. I claim I was missing the NOC way of life so much so that I decided to reenact my mountain nights. You believe me, right?! Anyway, within three days, I had unpacked everything and fallen absolutely head-over-heels in love with my new place. It's FABULOUS. I cant speak highly enough of the place. Big, spacious, sunny, comfy, clean, gorgeous view of the city form the 13th floor, AND has a combination washer/dryer IN the apartment (this is simply unheard of). And to show my appreciation for my access to such fancy technology, I washed 3 loads of laundry within the first 2 days (that is, after I emailed the former tenant asking how to use the thing - the icons make no sense to the foreign eye:$). Considering I do an average of one load every 2 weeks, this was another miraculous achievement on my part.

I am now spending my break teaching English classes, taking random dance classes (hip hop, house, reggaeton, tango, etc), biking around the city with friends, researching, and visiting Rotary clubs. I will be leaving the insanity of the city for a week to tromp in the mountains outside of Cusco, Peru with my friends Vera and Jose. Then back to Argentina to prepare for visits from my mom and Kilby. And then it's back to school I go. So much excitement to look forward to:)! Hasta la proxima...
VIVA!

No comments: