Monday, June 6, 2011

Signs You Have Crossed the Language DIvide...

A recent conversation inspired me to share a quick story about life here...

You know you are in language limbo when...

1) You start telling people you are studying in the "Faculty" of Psychology (Facultad de Psicologia) and cant for the life of you remember how we say it in English (Answer: Department).

2) You start responding to questions about your age with, "I HAVE 27 years."

3) Or telling people that your "direction" (address) is Salguero 1675.

4) Or ask your friend where she ate "arabian food." You know that is not what we say in English, but you cant think of anything other than the direct Spanish translation for comida arabe.

5) What is your name? "I am called Cameron."

6) A fellow gringa (not mentioning any names) calls you to invite you out. She asks, "Do you have the WILLS (another direct translation of tienes ganas) to go to dinner?" And then waits for an answer as if nothing said was unusual.

7) And my favorite occurred just a few minutes ago while discussing my negative reaction to mate, a strong tea, and my attempt to calm my shakiness by eating bread and drinking a gallon of water. Enjoy!...

Barring any shame, I am pasting the actual "intellectual" conversation had between a fellow Rotary scholar and myself here in Argentina:

vera: oh man u and your little tricks in alimentacion
do we say diet? is that the best word in eng?

me: i was just about to ask you if "alimentacion" is a word!

Vera: hahahahah

me: it would be alimentaTion if it is
but i dont think it exists

Vera: i donno, what is it in eng--diet right?
i mean we dont have another word

me: diet i guess

Any others Im forgetting? I know there are plenty more...VIVA!

No comments: